Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Speaking in tongues/ Homosexuality and religion

As I mentioned in class about how my teacher in 8th grade prayed and started speaking in a weird language is exactly what happened in the video shared by Professor Estevez so I really did witness some one speaking in tongues before and in person it can be a very unnerving thing to see. Also as for the other video I Just never understand why certain religions and people take their book (the bible or the Qur'an etc...) so literal and use to excuse certain acts or say certain acts are bad (evil) and that those committing those acts should be punished. which brings me to my point of why I don't understand why some people in the LGBT community who are Christian continue to follow in their religious views even though supposedly those spiritual books say being gay is a sin and hated by they own churches....just something I was thinking about while watching the videos

1 comment:

  1. Your experience was interesting to recount. You can see how Warner is using "speaking in tongues" metaphorically in his essay. Can you see a similar metaphor in Winterson's work, too?

    ReplyDelete