Tuesday, February 24, 2015

After talking about speaking in tongues in class I became curious on what it was. I typed in to Google “speaking in tongues” I clicked on the first video I saw and was very surprised. It is very odd to see either one person speaking in a unknown language to a group or an entire church all doing so at the same time. People who were involved explained that it is a gift not all people have. And those who do not have it can not understand the power of it or even become close to the holy spirit. As I watched and examined how they spoke in tongues I began to realize what they all say is different. Also when they are deeply expressing there emotions though tongues each one is circling around similar phrases or sentences. They are saying and repeating themselves as if they cant think of anything else random to start saying next. The people involved say they sound different from one another because it is personal between them and god. I don’t know how I feel about speaking in tongues initially I found it extremely odd but I still do not understand what exactly it is or the goal and purpose.
Thought I should share some feeling about our discussion in class thanks for reading - Adam

1 comment:

  1. Well I suppose one way to understand it is to think about it as a sign of a person's connection with God, or a sign of their commitment, or a sign of being completely taken over by the spirit they believe in. I think both Warner and Winterson use the idea metaphorically, though, and maybe you can find places where they do that.

    ReplyDelete