Sunday, May 3, 2015

My interpretation of Angels ending

I think the reason Kushner excluded Joe from the ending was because he wasn't honest with himself. Throughout the play, Joe struggles to find out who he his and compared to the other characters he remains lost. We see this when he comes out to Hannah and his affair with Louis followed by him going back to Harper and pretending that he wanted to be with her. It's as if he tries to go back in the closet after coming out. I feel that Kushner wanted to sent us a message which is that you must be true to yourself or else there will never be a resolution for you.

1 comment:

  1. Joe is closedted, Joe starts to step out, Joe is conflicted about what he owes Harper...

    I can buy that. But I've also got Cohn to deal with and that's where I have trouble with the ending.

    ReplyDelete